Re: About LAM-BIAS

From: Sunil C <csunil11_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 15:25:13 +0530

Hi

A good approximation for the LAM-BIAS value is the ratio of the photo
nuclear (g,n) cross section to the total photon interaction cross section.
For the (g,n) reaction, consider the GDR cross section as it is the
dominant mode of photo-neutron production . You can find those numbers in
Dietrich, S. S. and B. L. Berman, 'Atlas of photoneutron cross sections
obtained with monoenergetic photons.' Atomic Data and Nuclear Data Tables,
38(2), 199-338, (1988). The NIST website allows you to calculate the photon
interaction cross section.

Typically the GDR cross section varies from tens to hundreds of mb while
the total photon interaction cross section is about a few tens of barns.
The ratio will be then 1e-2 to 1e-3, which is similar to what the manual
suggests.

Sunil