variation of efficiency with energy in BC 501A

From: <saneesh_at_iuac.res.in>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 18:07:56 +0530

Dear Fluka experts,
                   I am trying to simulate the variation of efficiency with
energy, for neutrons, in organic liquid scintillator BC
501A. Since the light output is proportional to the
energy deposited by recoil protons, the variation of
energy deposited by recoil proton with neutron energy
is expected to produce identical result. The result
obtained is given below.
Neutron energy (MeV) Recoil proton energy (MeV)
0.5 0.227
1.0 0.468
2.0 0.731
3.0 0.905
4.0 1.031
5.0 1.163
6.0 1.237
7.0 1.310
8.0 1.339
9.0 1.385
10.0 1.421
12.0 1.480
14.0 1.514
16.0 1.502
18.0 1.497
20.0 1.576
25.0 1.491
30.0 1.554

      The result shows that efficiency saturates near 15 MeV. I have
compared with the results of M.Drosg, NIM 105(1972) 573 (please find
the attachments). Unlike my results, there is always a reduction in
efficiency with energy >10MeV. And also I couldn't find a way to set
the production threshold of secondary protons. I am attaching one of
the input file along with mail (successive simulations are done by
varying the energy only). Please help me to resolve the problems.

Thanks in advance

Saneesh N

Efficiency_vs_energy1.jpeg
(image/jpeg attachment: Efficiency_vs_energy1.jpeg)