Re: (Anti)Neutrino issues

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 07:12:37 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Ali Koosha,

I am not able to answer all your questions (hopefully some colleague will
do that), but I will try to clarify your points (1-b) and (4).

> (1-b) I think the folliwng argument in the user's manual has ambiguities.
> Please calrify what is saying by this:
> "Neutrino interactions however are implemented, but independently from
> tracking."

There is no ambiguity. You can track neutrinos, but only as non-interacting
particles. A neutrino can be followed through the geometry, you can score
boundary crossing and track length fluence, until the neutrino escapes into
the black hole. No interaction takes place. Or, you can force the neutrino to
interact with a nucleus at a point, but you will have no information about
how the neutrino got there. You cannot have both things at the same time.

> (4) ¿½BTit seems that the documentation about neutrino transport process in
> the Fluka jargon is rather poor. A direct search will result in nothing more
> than some papers of cosmic project of the Fluka team.

The documentation is poor because neutrino transport is a purely geometric
effect. It is similar to what a RAY does (or, if you are familiar with the
Geant code, to a Geantino). What is there to document? Just the intersection of
a straight line with surfaces of 1st or 2nd degree...
Neutrino nuclear interactions are another matter, but as said above they are
not connected with transport.

Alberto