Re: [fluka-discuss]: scoring emission products of unstable isotopes in YSO

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 05:31:10 -0800 (PST)

Dear Milena,

indeed your previous mail was containing so many questions, that nobody
dared to try answering them...
But now that there is just one question, and clearly written, let's
answer it.
In real life, photons do not deposit (directly) ANY energy, because they
do not have a charge. All energy is deposited by electrons and positrons
which the photons have generated or set in motion, by photoelectric effect,
Auger effect, Compton scattering or pair production.
In FLUKA, however, photons have a transport energy cutoff: when their
energy becomes equal or lower than the cutoff, the photons are stopped and
their energy is deposited there. This small part of the total energy
deposition is what you score as "photon energy deposition". It is important
to realize that it is an artifact due to the transport thereshold: all
energy is deposited by electrons.
Try to increase the photon transport threshold by means of command EMFCUT:
you will see that the photon energy deposition increases and the electron
one decreases.

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025