RE: [fluka-discuss]: Trying to use geometry out of stl-format

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:58:32 +0000

Dear Kilian,

yes, FLUKA requires you to define geometries in terms of CSG = boolean operations applied to the basic primitives like sphere, cylinder etc.
3D wavefront or STL files would require a completely different kind of primitive which is not supported in FLUKA.

Even if this primitive was supported then there would be another subtle issue which most people are not aware of and that is closure & validity. Creating and exporting a 3D surface model which is suitable for particle transport is in principle possible but it is far from trivial. Due to missing numerical accuracy one can easily create tiny holes in the model, which you won't notice during visualization. However, they will practically prevent accurate particle tracking and could cause particles to simply vanish, distort energy conservation etc.

Cheers
Chris