[fluka-discuss]: Scoring Absorbed Dose

From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:34:40 -0800

Hello everyone,

We are trying to score Absorbed Dose in a given region. We have tried
two scoring methods:
1) via a USRBIN card with REGION binning and DOSE as the quantity scored
and
2) via a SCORE card and Energy as the quantity scored, with no volume
input (case 2a) and with volume input (case 2b).

According to the manual, we should get
- GeV/g per primary for option 1
- GeV per primary for option 2a
- GeV/cm3 per primary for option 2b

As for the volume setting for the SCORE card, we set IVFLG to 3 in the
GEOBIN title card and inputted the region volume in the geometry region
card for the region.

We are seeing some discrepancies. The value we get from SCORE (with no
volume setting, case 2a) agrees with the value from the USRBIN, if we
divide the SCORE value by the density. This implies that the SCORE
value is GeV/cm3 per primary which doesn't agree with what is in the
manual.

Furthermore, when we do set the volume, following the instructions
above, we still see a value of 1.000000000D+00 for the region's volume
and the same deposited energy value as in case 2a.

This is a source of confusion for us and we are eager to find whether we
are missing something. Can someone shed some light on this please?
Is there another way to score absorbed dose in a region?

Thank you very much,
Mina & Martin