Re: [fluka-discuss]: Region volume setting for SCORE card

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 21:00:10 +0100

Mina:

what you sent are not at all the GEOBEGIN and REGION cards, but the
GEOGEGIN and REGION Flair metacards. One thing is the input file, another
thing is its Flair rendering. When everything works fine, you can forget
that the reality and its image are not the same thing and happily rely on
the latter (see e.g. - apart from philosophy references -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Matrix). But when something goes wrong as
in your case - input volumes not taken due to a Flair bug as demonstrated
by the output file table - then it turns out to be useful to be aware of
the existence of different levels.
You have two options. If you take the challenge of the disturbing
awareness, open the input file with any editor (but Flair!) like emacs,
vi, nano, whatever. You will discover what all FLUKA users were directly
handling in the dark years prior to Flair. There you will see what is
intended with cards. And you could add a "3" in the position indicated by
the manual on the row following the GEOBEGIN card as well as your volume
list between the GEOEND card and the region END card just above. In that
dreadful world, you will have to pay attention to format rules (normally
silently handled by Flair) and my obscure prescription "10 fields per
region, 7 regions per row" will find its precious meaning (as many other
manual's instructions made obsolete by Flair). After that, if you manage
to resist entering Flair immediately, you might be tempted to try to
launch your FLUKA run from a command line:
$FLUPRO/flutil/rfluka -M1 myinput[.inp]
(removing the .inp suffix)
This way, a successful output with your region volumes in the SCORE table
will be produced.
The other - perhaps advisable - option is to forget this disquieting post
(the last of my week, I promise) and wait for the next Flair release,
where it will be enough to input the volume in the respective region
metacard field.

Ciao

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti