[fluka-discuss]: Understanding origin of neutrons, photons, e+e-

From: Alfredo Martin Castaneda Hernandez <amch031182_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:35:30 -0600

Dear FLUKA experts

I have a fundamental question about the simulation,

Let say I calculate the flux of particles in a certain volume of my
detector using USRBIN option,
for sure I can get fluxes for neutrons, photons, e+e-, muon, etc...

For our purposes we are interested to count the contribution of radiation
background in our detector,
we assume most of that contribution will come from long living neutrons
which can interact in the material and produce photons and those photons
will produce electrons, and those electrons are
the ones can cause a real signal in our detector, so the reactions will be

n->gamma->e+/e-

in our background contribution we are adding the contribution of those
three particles, let
say we have

neutrons photons e+e- Total [Hz/cm2]
100 80 2 182

(In reality we will add a sensitivity to each particle to account for the
probability of generating
a signal in our detector)

The question is how we know if those photons or electrons were not produced
by the same
neutrons that we are considering, in such case a double counting will
happen and we could ended up overestimating our background.

So what we are assuming is that whatever enters the volume defined in
USRBIN is what FLUKA
counts, independently of what kind of reaction originated that particle
outside the region of interest, but what would happen it a neutron goes
inside the volume it interacts and produce a
photons and then an electron, that contribution should in principle goes
as one count in our flux right?

Any help to understand this is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Alfredo