[fluka-discuss]: physics settings for cosmogenic neutron production/capture

From: Joshua Albert <joalbert_at_imap.iu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 16:28:53 -0400

Dear FLUKA experts,

I have been updating my simulation for cosmogenic neutron production and capture (residual nuclei are important) on our detector to have the appropriate thresholds and physics settings. Aside from the PRECISIOn defaults, I have now added the following:

heavy ion transport
EM dissociation
mu-mu pair production
photonuclear interactions at all energies
coalescence and evaporation
an EMF cut of 1 MeV for e+-, and 330 keV for gammas.

Of the remaining settings that might be changed, the main ones I am not sure about are activating PEANUT for higher energies, and CHARMDECay. For PEANUT, it isn't clear to me whether this is not the default because the old generator is still better, if it is just momentum keeping it from being the default. In any case, would either of these processes be a good idea to activate? I'd rather not slow down the simulation for nothing, but I'm not clear on how these would affect cosmogenic spallation and other neutron-producing processes.

Thanks!
Josh

The relevant part of the input file is:
USERWEIG 0.0 1.
IONTRANS HEAVYION
PHYSICS 2. EM-DISSO
PHOTONUC 1111. MUMUPAIR
PHOTONUC 1. Xenon Xenon
MUPHOTON 1. HYDROGEN CHROMIUM
PAIRBREM 3. 0.0 0.0003 HYDROGEN CHROMIUM
PHYSICS 1. COALESCE
PHYSICS 3. EVAPORAT