Re: [fluka-discuss]: following particle in every step (NTRACK vs NTRUCK)

From: Georgios Dedes <G.Dedes_at_physik.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 18:23:57 +0200

Hi Vittorio and rest of FLUKAers,

thanks for the reply. As you recommended, I took another look into a
minimally modified mgdraw, trying to understand what I get. I attach the
routine.

In line 70, I basically merged some of the output that was active in the
default mgdraw.
In line 295 (usdraw), I dump the same info as in line 70.

So my conclusions/questions so far (I attach the file coming from MGDRAW
and USDRAW):

- using the index 0 for the XTRACK, YTRACK, ZTRACK gives me the starting
location of the step while if I use 1 they give the end point of each
step (which alternate of course, the end of the previous step is the
start of the next one). So far so good.

- in the mgdraw_Output I seem to be getting all the steps (I can see the
primary having a starting step location exactly where the source is
created), while in the usdraw_Output only a subset of them. As mentioned
in the online manual, usrdraw is called after each particle interaction.
Are the missing entries (as compared to the mgdraw_Output) due to
continuous energy loss for which the usrdraw is not called?

- as far as it concerns NTRACK, in the default mgdraw writing to the
mgdraw_Output, NTRACK is always 1. When I access the same info from the
usdraw it's always 0 for the primary protons and 1 for the few electrons
I got (I used only 2 protons of 1GeV). So I still don't understand
NTRACK. It is definitely not incrementing for each particle step, but it
is also 0 when accessed from usdraw. Any idea why?

- a last question, which was actually the source of all my troubles. How
can I get from the mgdraw, which follows every particle through every
step, the position of generation of secondaries? Initially I thought
that I could use the NTRACK, which I wrongly thought that it would
increment in every step, along a particle trajectory

Thanks for the feedback,
George

Dr. Georgios DEDES
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU)
Medical Physics Chair (LS Parodi)
Am Coulombwall 1
85748 Garching
Tel:+49 (0) 89 289-14022