Re: [fluka-discuss]: USRBDX

From: Anna Ferrari <a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:51:59 +0200

Dear Monica,

the answer to your first question is: yes, the result you get is in
 Part/GeV/cmq/pr, provided you have input the boundary area in cm2 (via the
WHAT(6) of the first USRBDX card). If you have left it blank, the area is
assumed to be
= 1, and the result is in Part/GeV/pr.

The answer to your second question ('What is the difference between plotting
“value Y” and “value <X>*Y”? ') is that with the first choice you plot a
spectrum dN/dE, while with the second you plot EdN/dE = dN/dlogE.
The first choice is the natural one if you score number of particles vs. E
with a linear energy binning (it is your case, since you have chosen
I1,LinE,LinΩ), while the second is to be preferred if you score number of
particles vs. logE (the spectrum you get is called a "lethargy spectrum").
<X> here stands for the mean value of E in the given energy interval
(geometrical mean = sqrt(E1*E2) ).

Kind regards,
Anna

Am Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:27:29 +0200 schrieb Monica Huerta
<mhuerta_at_essbilbao.org>:

> Dear Fluka users,
>
> I have a proton beam impinging on a stainless steel collimator. I want to
>calculate the number of backscattered protons produced and therefore, I have
>set a USRBDX card with type I1,LinE,LinΩ. However, I am confused about
>the normalisation factor since I am not totally sure about the output units
>of the calculated current. Should I assume them to be Part/GeV/cmq/pr? In
>addition, what is the difference between plotting “value Y” and “value
><X>*Y”?.
>
> *I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this issue. *
>
> *Best regards
>
> *
> --
>
> Monica Huerta
> Researcher at the Applications Group
> Ugaldeguren III
> Poligono A - 7B
> 48170 Zamudio (Vizcaya)
> Spain
>
> +34 946 076 859
>
> www.essbilbao.org

Anna Ferrari
Institute of Radiation Physics
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Dresden, Germany
http://www.hzdr.de

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey, Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter
Joehnk
Vereinsregister: VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden