Re: [fluka-discuss]: help with beam characteristics

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 19:50:05 +0200

Dear Roxana,

> I have a question regarding the beam characteristics. To define the particl=
> e I used the HEAVYION option and after that I just added the HI-PROPE and I=
> ONTRANS cards defining the Z and A for every type of ion. Is this the corre=
> ct way to do it? (for example for Ar, I just define Z=18 and A=40)

I understand that you defined Z and A through HI-PROPE. That's fine.
Concerning IONTRANS, the manual clarifies that in the presence of a heavy
ion beam, full transport of all ions is enabled by default (no need for
IONTRANS).

> And if I want to have a beam intensity of 1.0x10^9 ions/cycle should I use =
> the IRRPROFI card or just to add 10^9 number of primary histories?

Of course IRRPROFI. The number of histories set in the START card has
never a physical meaning, it just rules the statistical significance of
the results. But I do not understand what you mean with a beam intensity
of 10^9 ions/cycle. Evidently the beam intensity has nothing to do with
the concept of FLUKA cycle, which again is relevant to the statistical
framework only. If you mean an accelerator operation cycle, what you have
to input in IRRPROFI is the (average) beam current [ions/s] and the
respective irradiation time.

Cheers

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti