RE: [fluka-discuss]: Does fluka have the capability of modeling tessellated solids?

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis <Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 09:28:45 +0000

Hi John

the short answer is No. No tessellated solids neither CAD import.
the long one is that there are several efforts but none is full proof.
There are a few ways to import CAD geometries, I can give you some hints
that I know:
i. MCAM a chinese program that imports CAD and converts them into MCNP. Then with flair you can import the MCNP into FLUKA. It does fairly good job.
ii. Ansys workbench can import CAD and export to MCNP provided some constraints are met on the CAD description
iii. Our colleagues Kerry Lee from NASA are working on a CAD geometry kernel as a substitute of the FLUKA geometry kernel. I believe
  they have progressed a lot. http://indico.cern.ch/event/358091/session/2/contribution/5/material/slides/1.pdf
iv. manual, import the technical drawings in flair and draw the geometry on top of the technical drawings

Cheers
Vasilis

From: JR Cary <cary_at_colorado.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 06:43:02 -0700
Or CAD of any kind?
(I see only constructive solid geometry in the manual.)
Thx......John Cary