Re: [fluka-discuss]: differential fluence distribution in SOURCE routine

From: Mikhail Polkovnikov <pmk_at_ihep.ru>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 19:24:37 +0300

On 11.08.2015 10:01, Roman Savinov wrote:
> Mikhail,
>
> I used files from your discussion with Faith:
> http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/7878.html
>
> but instead of spectrum.dat I used different spectrum which I obtained
> by digitizing plot from this paper:
> http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/14912/1/IJPAP%2050%2811%29%20818-820.pdf
>
> (I have a fortran code that generates this data, srplot.f, but I don't
> know how to run it)
> The only thing I changed in your source_mod.f is I set NDIMMAX=58, the
> number of points in my spectrum.dat
>
> when I run it, all result points are zero. What might be the problem?
>
> Also, it seems like I have trouble with unit conversion with the
> results of my previous email. According to the
> test-3.sum.lis, USRTRACK gives results in protons/GeV/cm^2/primary
> I want result in protons/MeV/cm^2, just like in this paper (fig.5-8):
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214552414000674/pdfft?md5=fa5b5ee5f3679917a4686acc3af31fc7&pid=1-s2.0-S2214552414000674-main.pdf
> so I need to convert 1/GeV to 1/MeV and multiply it by 5e5 primaries.
> To do the conversion I should _divide_ by 1000 but the fluka plot
> matches the plot of the source.dat only when I _multiply_ by 1000! WTF?
>

> Finally, what scoring cards should I use to make plots like fig.9-12
> of the "Shielding evaluation..." paper? Should I create detector at
> each point in depth of water slab where I want the dose to be probed
> or I can use one detector for the hole water slab and then do a 1-D
> projection to get a dose profile along the slab?
>
> thank you and sorry for the lengthy email
>
> Roman

Dear Roman,

1. To compile srplot.f you have to execute a commandgfortran srplot.f -o
srplot and to run it ./srplot.

2. In photon_spectrum archive what are dimensions of pairs in the file
source_Sahani.dat?
If first column is an energy in GeV, than you should set photon energy
as TKEFLK(NPFLKA) = ENERGY

3. Where did you get 5e5 primaries? Is that a total fluence of yours? We
have differential point-wise fluence "dF/dE = C * exp(-(E - A) / B)",
where A, B, C - parameters and E - energy in MeV. Total fluence is an
integral from minimum to maximum energy "F = - C * B * exp( -(E - A) /
B) => Ftotal = F(Emax) - F(Emin) = F(2470) - F(0.1) = 1.84393E+10".

4. For scoring a dose try to use single USRBIN card with Type: x-y-z. If
your water slab along Z-axis, you can set NX = NY = 1. So your second
suggestion is correct.

Best regards,
Mikhail