Re: [fluka-discuss]: Timing information

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:05:50 +0200

Dear Matthew,

I fail to understand which time information you refer to.

You say that it is not the CPU time. This is printed at the end of the
output file (Average CPU time per simulated history and Maximum CPU time
taken by a simulated history). And it is proportional to the actual time
required by your run, through the CPU percentage used. More particles per
simulated history imply more CPU time.

Then there is the physical time, i.e. the one taken in reality by
radiation propagation. This can be accessed in user routines looking at
the ATRACK variable in (TRACKR), which gives the age of the particle being
transported since the start of the primary history (in case of constant
speed, it is the travelled distance divided by the latter). It is used in
time dependent scoring (TCQUENCH card).

Finally there is the irradiation time with its respective primary
particle rate, but this is just a normalization factor to be applied.

Concerning the evergreen debate of fluence vs current (if this is what you
meant with flux), note that with USRBDX you are free to choose the
quantity relevant to your case. Keeping well in mind the unforgettable
lesson
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/0542.html
Both (fluence and current) get integrated over the (usually very short)
radiation propagation time, and their rates can just be obtained by the
user's normalization factor mentioned above.

Cheers

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI