RE: [fluka-discuss]: NIEL scaling

From: Alberto Fasso <Alberto.Fasso_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 06:20:18 +0000

From: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it [owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it] on behalf of JAIRO MARTÍN ROJAS HUAMANÍ [a20122093_at_pucp.pe]
Sent: 31 August 2015 05:25
Hi,

> 1. The USRBIN call to 1 MeV neutron equivalent fluence (Si1MeVEq), which is in cm⁻² , has the same form of the beam, a circle. Being a function > related to the damage, should not this plot be different for different materials which are covered by the broad beam? (in the plot they have similar > color (value) for air and for the silicon chip).

The subject of your e-mail is "NIEL scaling", but you did not score NIEL-DEP, an energy deposition which would depend on the material. You scored instead SI1MEVNE, which is the fluence that would produce a damage equal to that of 1-MeV neutrons in silicon. That fluence does not depend
on the material.

> 2. For the plot Neutron Fluence Cilinder, being normalized in Fluence/MeV, we would expect its integral to be 10⁶ as written in START, but we get > a lower number (240544.283).

The number you input in START is a number of neutrons, not a fluence. A fluence is the density of neutron paths in cm/cm3

Recently we have been working on FLUKA with the purpose of knowing the Neutron Fluence Equivalence of 1 MeV neutrons on a silicon chip. We use a given neutron spectrum (from a data file) and have designed a simple geometry with a cilinder surrounding the chip. When we simulate the process we find some features:

1. The USRBIN call to 1 MeV neutron equivalent fluence (Si1MeVEq), which is in cm⁻² , has the same form of the beam, a circle. Being a function related to the damage, should not this plot be different for different materials which are covered by the broad beam? (in the plot they have similar color (value) for air and for the silicon chip).
2. For the plot Neutron Fluence Cilinder, being normalized in Fluence/MeV, we would expect its integral to be 10⁶ as written in START, but we get a lower number (240544.283).

Thanks you for your help.

ps. We are attaching all the relevant files. To see the graphics you should first compile(Ƨځ맲r*'~&x%Zm 0nߖi'iw