Re: [fluka-discuss]: Geometry axes and output of FLAIR

From: Anna Ferrari <a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:57:51 +0200

Dear M. Arif Efendi,

here some considerations about your problem.

(a) Don't have this doubt about the reference system: as already pointed out
by Thiago Lima, you can chose the orientation you want. If you read the FLUKA
manual you will not find any mention about gravitational effects in the
vertical direction...then chose your beam axis following your convenience.

(b) ...but please do it correctly! I gave a look at your input: all your
geometry -included the water phantom that you want to irradiate- is at
negative z values, while you have sent the beam in the opposite direction. For
this reason you get an empty USRBIN!!! You have to put sdum=NEGATIVE in the
BEAMPOS card in order to get correct results (I got it with your input).

Another point: what is the real photon energy of your beam? I think you wanted
to simulate a 20 MeV beam, but you wrote 20 GeV... remember that the energy
units in FLUKA are GeV.

(c) About the DICOM: my suggestion is to postpone for the moment this matter
-which is advanced, I suspect that in a first analysis you don't need it
really- and to go first through the material of the FLUKA courses, which you
find online (for example I would go first through this
https://www.fluka.org/free_download/course/dresden2013/Lectures/07_Scoring_1013.pdf
and the related exercises)

Hope it helps,
regards,
Anna

Anna Ferrari
Institute of Radiation Physics
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
http://www.hzdr.de