Re: [fluka-discuss]: decay scheme of a radioactive source

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:45:33 +0100

Dear M Anjom,
sorry I was not precise.
The Fluka database contains all the decays listed in my previous email,
however a threshold is applied and decays with branching ratio smaller
than 0.1% are discarded (will be lowered in next release). There is no
correlation between beta decay and subsequent photon, emission
probabilities are conserved on average.
In the fluka spectra you will find, normalized per decay
- 0.963 electrons up to 2.162 MeV
- 0.037 electrons up to 0.586 MeV
- 0.037 photons at 1.576 MeV.
Regards
Paola
> Dear Paola,
> Thank you for the explaining Pr-142 decay. As you mentioned, 142Pr
decays
> via β¯ emission with a maximum energy of 2.162 MeV to the ground state of
> 142Nd (with a probability of 96.3%). There is also a second β¯
emission
> with a maximum energy of 0.586 MeV and after this emission, gammas with
an
> energy of 1.576 MeV follow (with probability 3.7%).
> However, I am circus to know which emission (s) of Pr-142 being used in the
> simulations by FLUKA code database? Both of its beta emissions plus one
gamma emission?
> Thank you for your attention
> M Anjom
> On 26/01/2016 1:43 AM, "Paola Sala" <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it> wrote:
>> Hello
>> Pr-142 decays mostly beta- to three levels of 142Nd, 96.3% of the decays
>> go to the Ce ground state, in the other cases gamma-rays are emitted.
142Nd is stable. In about 2% of cases, Pr decays via electron capture
>> 142Ce, ground or excited. 142Ce is assumed to be stable (it's a
double-beta decay candidate)
>> Regards
>> Paola
>> > Dear FLUKA users,
>> > I have used ISOTOPE and HI-PROPE cards to simulate the emission
spectrum of Pr-142
>> > as a beta emission source for brachytherapy purposes. Could you
please
>> > tell
>> > me about full decay scheme of this radioisotope source which is
>> applied
>> in
>> > FLUKA simulation by activating mentioned cards?
>> > Kind regards
>> > M Anjom
>> Paola Sala
>> INFN Milano