Fwd: Re: [fluka-discuss]: geometry import from cad file

From: Andrew Davis <andrew.davis_at_wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 00:39:17 -0600

Forwarding missed in reply
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Andrew Davis" <andrew.davis_at_wisc.edu>
Date: Feb 4, 2016 12:27 AM
Subject: Re: [fluka-discuss]: geometry import from cad file
To: "Marlon Saveri Silva" <marlon.saveri_at_lnls.br>

Hi Marlon

It would be remiss of my to not point out but NASA are currently funding
The University of Wisconsin-Madison to integrate the DAGMC (Direct
Accelerated Geometry Monte Carlo) [http://svalinn.github.io/DAGMC/]toolkit
into Fluka.

DAGMC takes CAD geometries in ACIS (*.sat) format, following procedures
called imprinting and merging which compare entities for topological
equivalence and then merge the duplicates together. Its the imprint and
merge step that removes the numerical issues that Chris was talking about.
We then use the ACIS faceting engine to generate (millions) of triangles
and we store them in a mesh database. Using Oriented Bounding Boxes (OBB)
we can accelerate the ray firing to be pretty close in timing to a native
geometry system.

The work is very complete and stable in the MCNP space where we have done
CAD based particle transport at UW for about 10 years now mostly for
complex fusion geometries. We hope to have news on the integration of DAGMC
into Fluka soon.

If you have any further questions please ask.

Thanks

Andy