Re: [fluka-discuss]: Energy Loss in P10 Gas

From: Andrea Tsinganis <Andrea.Tsinganis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 09:43:09 +0100

Dear Anuj,

It is expected that a simulated energy deposition spectrum will look
"sharper" than an experimental pulse height spectrum, since the
experimental spectrum is a convolution of the energy deposition with the
detector resolution, electronics response etc. This is why it appears to be
wider and/or smeared out compared to the simulation.

If you want to directly compare the two, you could convolute the simulated
spectrum with a gaussian choosing an appropriate width until you get the
best match. You can go even further by making this width a function of
energy, which is more realistic.

You can find a useful discussion of this in Knoll's "Radiation Detection
and Measurement", chapter 6 "Proportional counters", section C "Energy
resolution".

I hope this helps,
Andrea