RE: [fluka-discuss]: About default physics model of proton

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 09:35:19 +0000

Dear Sung Hun Kim,

For the physics model implemented in FLUKA, either look in the manual or in the course material. What is relevant for you is energy loss for charged particles, transport of neutrons (from p,n reactions in your case) which below 20 MeV is performed using a multi-group and evaluated data sets (available in FLUKA suitable format for the most common materials and isotopes).

https://indico.cern.ch/event/442634/contributions/1096514/attachments/1186024/1719467/14_Ionization_and_Transport_2015.pdf
https://indico.cern.ch/event/442634/contributions/1096545/attachments/1185419/1718292/11_Hadronic_Interactions_2015.pdf
https://indico.cern.ch/event/442634/contributions/1096544/attachments/1185163/1717805/10_Low_Energy_Neutrons_2015.pdf

Note that in your energy range, you might be at the limit for which the model for proton interactions and neutron production can be applied. I would first check consistency of the results with available data for neutron production resulting from proton interactions your target material. While the spirit in FLUKA is not to "tune" the physics model, you still need to specify some parameters (transport threshold and accuracy related parameters...)

Greetings
Joachim