[fluka-discuss]: Optical Photons

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:13:32 +0200

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 21:20:22 +0200
From: Dr. Mark SMITH <masmith_at_gmx.com>

Sorry to bother you again: Here is a complementary file showing the issue I have even for
energies as "high" as 1 keV photons, scoring "Beam Particles", always with the same input file.
Why the photons are "travelling" more than 'expected' inside iron ?

Kind regards, and have a nice weekend
Mark

Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 at 5:42 PM
From: "Dr. Mark SMITH" <masmith_at_gmx.com>

Dear FLUKA experts,

I was studying the possibility to run optical photons studies with FLUKA. We are possibly
interested to study the Energy deposition by a 1000 nm laser. According to the guidelines here
http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=man_onl&sub=98 I made the suggested routine (attached) and
I am modelling a thick, iron target. According to PDG, in these low energies only coherent
scattering and absorption are the processes involved, and they are modelled correctly by FLUKA.
However, I was expecting (based on the PDG table) to have these photons stopped in ~ 0.01 um
while FLUKA seems to be stopping them at ~ 10 um.

Could you please help me as to what my mistake could be ? Am I understanding something wrong ?
Attached the input/routine as well as a small PDF with the explanations.

Best Regards, and thanks a lot for you kind help,
Mark