2006 Vasilis Vlachoudis
Flair apart from the latest version of FLUKA it requires the following programs:
- Python interpreter version V2.6 or greater. Python usually comes pre-installed
in most linux distributions, otherwise it can be downloaded from
toolkit, this is the default graphical toolkit for python and usually
it is shipped together with the interpreter. In Fedora distributions
(Version>3) it has to be installed separately. In this case install
it with the command (as superuser)
- Tcl/Tk version V8.5 or greater.
Optionally but strongly recommended
- flair-geoviewer a plugin to flair for interactive geometry editing, debugging
and 3D visualization
- PIL (python imaging library) and the tk interaface for image exporting from geoviewer.
Typically on various distributions they appear with the name
- PIL (python imaging library) and the tk interaface for image exporting from geoviewer. Typically on various distributions they appear with the name python-imaging and python-imaging-tk
- gnuplot version V4.0 or greater
- pydicom The python dicom library optionally if you want to convert DICOM files to FLUKA voxel
- numpy The python numeric library for dicom processing
README file with installation instructions (ASCII file)
RPM / DEB / TAR
Download the latest version of code:
Log of the latest changes in the code
Download the rpm version for systems that are based on the RPM installer or they
support rpm packages.
Uploaded: Fri 30-Jul-2021
- To install execute the following command as superuser:
$ rpm -ivh flair-X-XX.noarch.rpm
On distributions like Suse, Ubuntu etc. the package tkinter
is called python-tk. Please verify that you have installed the
required packages and then issue the command as superuser:
$ rpm -ivh --nodeps flair-X-XX.noarch.rpm
- To upgrade to a new version:
$ rpm -Fvh flair-X.X-X.noarch.rpm
Or directly from the web site
$ rpm -Fvh http://www.fluka.org/flair/flair-X.X-X.noarch.rpm
- To compile the flair-geoviewer look the detailed instructions in the README file. Briefly
$ rpmbuild --rebuild flair-geoviewer-X.X-X.src.rpm
Download the deb version for systems that are debian based
Uploaded: Wed 26-Apr-2017
To install open with the file browser the download directory and double click, first on the "flair" and second on the "flair-geoviewer".
WARNING: you need to have the "universe" software source enabled.
To enable the "universe":
- Open the "Ubuntu Software Center"
- Menu -> Edit -> Software Sources
- Check the "Community-mainted free and open-source software (universe)"
- Close the Software center program
- In a terminal (e.g. xterm) type
$ sudo apt-get update
- Then go to the download directory and double-click to install the Flair .deb package
- After the installation of Flair, double-click the flair-geoviewer .deb package, in order to install the Flair-Geoviewer
Manual installation can be done with the command:
$ dpkg -i flair_X.XX-X_all.deb flair-geoviewer_X.XX-XX_[i386|amd64].deb
WARNING: Newer versions of Ubuntu/Debian have a different name in the libtk8.5.so.
In case you get the following error for libtk8.5.so or libtcl8.5.so
Error: libtk8.5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Please make a symbolic link as super user:
- Locate the tk/tcl libraries either one of the following directories
- change to that directory e.g.
$ cd /usr/lib
- make the symbolic links:
$ ln -s libtk8.5.so.0 libtk8.5.so
$ ln -s libtcl8.5.so.0 libtcl8.5.so
Uploaded: Wed 30-Jul-2021
Expand the archive to the appropriate directory use the following commands:
$ tar xzvf flair-X.XX.tgz
$ gunzip -c flair-X.XX.tgz | tar xvf -
- To compile the flair-geoviewer please look at the instructions
in the README. Briefly
$ tar xzvf flair-geoviewer-X-XX.tgz
$ cd flair-geoviewer-X-XX
$ make install install-bin install-mime
Flair version numbering, consists of 3 numbers starting from 0, in the form: flair-M.m-R
The About Dialog of the program displays the Major and minor version as well
the SVN release number, every time changes in the program are committed to the
SVN server. It is recommended the user to pay attention on the date of the last
change as well the date when the program is uploaded on the web site.
- M: Major version, this number is increased by one only when a major
modification in the structure of the program takes place. During the initial
phase of development is 0.
- m: Minor version, this number is increased by one every time a
addition in the program functionality is made. e.g. Adding new plotting forms,
mechanism, databases etc.
- R: Release, this number is increased every time when bug fixes take
place or minor changes in the functionality. e.g. Addition of extra fields in a
The recommended way of installation is the use of rpm. The rpm installer,
will install the program in the /usr/local/flair directory and the
executable launcher programs in the /usr/local/bin. It will also create all
the necessary files and modify the system database to add the program in
the educational/science/physics menu, define the appropriate file
associations for the file types .flair, .fluka and .inp.
In case your system doesn't support the rpm, use the tar gzip file and
follow the instructions in the README file. For specialised help on various
OS, look first the FAQ.
In brief, expand the archive to a directory of your choice, and
either add it to the PATH variable or create an alias in your login script
||Script to launch jobs on a cluster using OpenPBS system. Can easily be modified for
other batch systems
For comments and changes send e-mail to
Last modified Wed 26-Apr-2017