Re: FLUKA: user defined magnetic field

To Lev Chekhtman <Lev.Chekhtman@cern.ch>
From Alberto Fasso' <fasso@slac.stanford.edu>
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:06:25 -0800 (PST)
Cc fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch
In-reply-to <Pine.LNX.3.95a.1010125064640.18756A-100000@lxplus004.cern.ch >
Reply-To "Alberto Fasso'" <fasso@slac.stanford.edu>
Sender owner-fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Lev Chekhtman wrote:

> Hello, I am using magnetic field defined by MGNFLD routine (using zeros
> for Bx,By, Bz in MGNFIELD option). At runtime I get a lot of messages in
> the .err file that look like:
>
> MAGNEW, TXYZ: n.nnn
> U,V,W  n.nnn   n.nnn   n.nnn
>

> where n.nnn are some numbers.
> Why do I get these messages? What do they mean? Cheers, Lev.

Hi Lev,
I guess that you mean the MAGFLD routine (not MGNFLD).
It would have been more clear if you had reported some of those
numbers. Anyway, the message means that the direction cosines of
the particle as returned by the subroutine are not properly normalized.
(the sum of the squares must be = 1.D0 IN DOUBLE PRECISION).
In this case FLUKA provides a re-normalization and issues the message
that you have found. But it is time consuming: it would be better to
make your routine do the check before returning the values.

  Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso'
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center