Re: FLUKA: Re: Residual nuclei

To fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch
From Alfredo Ferrari <alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch>
Date Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:24:43 +0100 (CET)
In-Reply-To <Pine.LNX.4.21.0203041148260.16485-100000@lxplus048.cern.ch >
Reply-To Alfredo Ferrari <alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch>
Sender owner-fluka-discuss@listbox.cern.ch

Just a further clarification on top of what Alberto wrote.

The answer to point 3 "The scoring does not distinguish between states:
they are all scored as the same isotope" should be read "The scoring does
not distinguish between ground state and isomeric state: they are all
scored as the same isotope. No scored isotope is in a state different from
the ground state or a (possible) isomeric state, since the deexcitation
routines are taking care of dissipating into particles and ultimately
photons all exciation energy"

                     Ciao
                    Alfredo

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Alberto Fasso' wrote:

> Hi Dominik,
>
> after consulting with Alfredo Ferrari, here are some answers:
>
> > 1. What extreme (Z,A) values of the residual isotopes are possible for
> >    a region filled by the compound medium (consisted of many different
> >    (Z,A) isotopes) ? Does exist any general rule ?
>
> You can get what you can get in nature: all the nuclei with A and Z smaller
>or
> equal to those of the components with the highest A and Z (actually, to be
> picky, A+1 and Z+1: in case of capture reactions)
>
> > 2. Can light nuclei (like for instance He3) migrate from region to region
> >    and be stored (by RESNUCLEi card) not in the region where they
> >    were born ?
>
> Yes. In general, however, they don't travel very far.
>
> > 3. Are all printed residual isotopes always (from definition) in the
> >    ground state ?
>
> No. The scoring does not distinguish between states: they are all scored
> as the same isotope.
>
> > 4. What about the very-short-live nuclei, are their daughters included in
> >    the printed output or one has to examine a proper decay scheme ?
>
> No, if you want them to decay, you must do it yourself (but I know that
>there
> are around user-written programs which do it: if you are interested, you
>may ask
> the list)
>
> > 5. Same as above but for meta-states (if there is co-existency of a long
> >    live and the very-short-live states for the same isotope) ?
>
> As I said under point 3, there is no distinction between states, excited
>states
> and metastates.
>
> > 6. What should I read to know more ? (not too much, please).
>
> I don't think there is much else. But I will include some of the above
> information in the manual.
>
>   Alberto

|  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119                  |
|  CERN-SL                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555                  |
|  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch        |
|  Switzerland                    ||          Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it     |

Your name :
Your email :