torus

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 17:34:53 CEST

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Silvia Muraro wrote:

    > Is there the possibility of having a torus in the FLUKA combinatorial
    > geometry?
    > Silvia Muraro

    This question comes back from time to time. I copy here below an
    answer I gave a couple of years ago.
    Other people have recently expressed the wish to have the possibility
    to use a torus in the geometry. I think that finding the intersection
    point is not a problem: I have already the routine who does this
    analytically, and sorting out the smallest of the real roots of the
    4th degree equation looks rather easy. The problem, as explained below,
    is the numerical accuracy: the solution of a 4th degree equation in double
    precision is not always very accurate.

    When Alfredo finds some free time after the next FLUKA release, I
    would like to discuss this with him.

    Alberto