Re: In what unit are expressed USRBIN results when using deq99c routine and radioactive decay ?

From: Sebastien WURTH (wurth@ipno.in2p3.fr)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 10:55:43 CEST

  • Next message: Maher CHEIKH MHAMED: "pawlev.kumac not found in flutil directory"

    Alfredo Ferrari a crit :

    > Dear Sebastien
    >
    > the results should be indeed in pSv/s, if everything is setup correctly.
    > I would suggest to add also a pure fluence scoring (not weighted with
    > deq99c) which will be in particles/cm^2/s and apply some "back of the
    > envelope" average conversion factor, just to check everything is
    > consistent.
    >
    > Obviously the results are already including the beam intensity if you
    > specified its values in the irrprofi card. Sorry for the dumb
    > question, did you input in irrprofi the beam intensities in particle/s?
    > Did you checked in the output that the FLUKA "interpretation" of your
    > cards (particularly those defining the irradiation profile) is the
    > one you expect?
    >
    > What does it mean dose rates are much higher than expected? A factor ten
    > or 10^6? I mean, could it be a somewhat surprising result still
    > compatible with common sense, or is it nonsense?
    >
    > Ciao!
    > Alfredo
    >
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006, Sebastien WURTH wrote:
    >
    >> Hello dear fluka users and developpers,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to score dose rate after several decay times with USRBIN
    >> and the
    >> cards to simulate radioactive decay and scoring : RADDECAY, IRRPROFILE,
    >> DCYSCORE and DCYTIMES.
    >>
    >> I use the fluence calculation of all particles (code 201) using fluka
    >> executable linked with deq99c.f routine
    >> in order to convert fluence to dose.
    >>
    >> According to the manual, DCYSCORE section, note 1. [...]all quantities
    >> are expressed per unit time [...].
    >>
    >> I assumed that my results are expressed in pSv/s beacuse :
    >>
    >> - USRBIN when fluence is scored expresses its results in
    >> part/cm/primary particle
    >> - With FLUSCW + deq99c.f, results are expressed in pSv/primary particle
    >> - With IRRPROFILE, and DCYSCORE, results are expressed in pSv/s ==> IS
    >> THAT TRUE, AFTER ALL ?
    >>
    >> I'm asking because the results are not as I expected, the dose rates are
    >> far to important.
    >> (They actually become lower when the decay times increase but...).
    >>
    >> Thank you kindly in advance for all your answers and advices.
    >>
    >> Sebastien.
    >>
    Dear Alfredo,

    Thank you for your answer.

    About the questions you asked :

    I did the pure fluence scoring with no USERWEIGH card and the default
    fluka executable --> flukahp.
    When I use a "hand-made" approximated conversion factor, it seems to be
    consistent with the run
    in which direct conversion is applied. There may be a factor 10 or so,
    but not enough to explain the problem.

    I gave the right irradiation profile I guess : 50 MeV electron, with 10
    A intensity during three weeks.
    This leads to 6.25E+13 part/s during 1814400 seconds.
    These values are properly interpreted by fluka according to the *.out
    file, as well as my six cooling times and the direct conversion from
    fluence to dose
    (according to the message which is printed just before the first
    particle is followed in *.out).

    In the SDUMs of my USRBIN cards I put EWT74, and never had to complain
    about it untill now.

    The results are to high by a factor 1000 at least, and it's quite
    senseless in my opinion.

    Something concrete :
    The experiment consists in the irradiation of a UC2 target by an
    electron beam.
    I try to predict the dose rates of the removable part of the target. The
    unloading operation (by a man) is scheduled
    one week after the end of the irradiation.
    The estimated dose rate (calculations after similar experiments) gives
    ~50 Sv/h after a decay time of one week.
    My simulation with fluka gives (lower value) ~72000 Sv/h after the same
    decay time. In this case, it is absolutely out of question to
    unload the all thing.

    When I score dose rate during irradiation (no radioactive decay
    applied), results are high (of course) ~ several Sv/h
    but more or less what I expected.
    Of course, here, USRBIN results are expressed in pSv/electron and
    converted in Sv/h using the beam intensity in bpawlev routine.

    I'm quite sure fluka has nothing to do with it,
    it's only a matter of multiplicative factors (and units I believed).
    I'm still looking for some mistakes I could have done in the input file...

    Best Regards.

    Sebastien.


  • Next message: Maher CHEIKH MHAMED: "pawlev.kumac not found in flutil directory"

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.6 : Wed May 17 2006 - 11:06:00 CEST