Re: problem with USRBIN & USRBDX results

From: Francesco Cerutti (Francesco.Cerutti@cern.ch)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 21:10:31 CET

    Dear Hamide,

    > First,in the case of ENELOW and ENEUP values' in source.f, They are in
    > term of Gev/n, Should I convert them to Gev,then FLUKA itself consider them
    > in term of Gev/n for heavy ion?

    TKEFLK (NPFLKA) is the TOTAL kinetic energy of your nucleus expressed in
    GeV. So if you load values in GeV/n, you have to multiply your ENERGY
    variable by dble(IPROA) (i.e. 12) before assigning its value to
    TKEFLK(NPFLKA).

    > Second,you had mentioned that I must define an isotropic property of my
    > source in my own source.f .I had done it before but I omitted it according
    > to Fasso's recommendation.If I eliminate the commands of Cos(tx,ty,tz) from
    > my source.f is it correct to consider this character with BEAM?
    > I had given these commands in source.f to define an isotopic source.
    >
    > * Isotropic angular distribution
    > YI = FLRNDM(DUMMY)
    > COSTH = ONEONE - 2.D0 * YI
    > IF (COSTH .GT. ONEONE) THEN
    > COSTH = ONEONE
    > ELSE IF (COSTH .LT. -ONEONE) THEN
    > COSTH = -ONEONE
    > END IF
    > ZI = FLRNDM(DUMMY)
    > ANG = TWOPIP * ZI
    > UBEAM = SQRT (ONEONE - COSTH * COSTH) * COS(ANG)
    > VBEAM = SQRT (ONEONE - COSTH * COSTH) * SIN(ANG)
    > WBEAM = COSTH

    If you want an isotropic distribution, you do not need a customized source
    routine (the point - right - of Alberto). But if you need your own source
    routine for other reasons (sampling from a special spectrum), then you
    have to define there the direction cosines too. Your above coding seems to
    be correct.
    Remember that you have to define U[vw]BEAM BEFORE assigning
    their values to TX[yz]FLK (NPFLKA). The same holds for X[yz]BEAM with
    respect to X[yz]FLK (NPFLKA).
    Florian was just hinting at this point:

    > **In your source.f you set the beam position for the first particle to the
    > defaults i.e. (0.,0.,0.) and for the remaining particles to
    > XBEAM = 4.D05
    > YBEAM = 4.D05
    > ZBEAM = 4.D05

    This is because you write

           XFLK (NPFLKA) = XBEAM
           YFLK (NPFLKA) = YBEAM
           ZFLK (NPFLKA) = ZBEAM
           XBEAM = 4.D05
           YBEAM = 4.D05
           ZBEAM = 4.D05

    instead of

           XBEAM = 4.D05
           YBEAM = 4.D05
           ZBEAM = 4.D05
           XFLK (NPFLKA) = XBEAM
           YFLK (NPFLKA) = YBEAM
           ZFLK (NPFLKA) = ZBEAM

    The first particle starts at the center of your Al shell, the following
    ones almost 7km far away.

    > Then you set the direction cosines to:
    >
    > (UBEAM, VBEAM, WBEAM)= (0., 0. , 1.)

    This is because you do not define the direction cosines (default values
    are taken).

    > With this settings you may hit the volume defined by your USRBIN with
    > the first particle but never with the others and therefor the output
    > contains only zeros.**

    The effect is that only the first particle goes through your Al shell, the
    others never see it.

    But please note that placing an isotropic source 7km far away from a 20m
    diameter sphere means that the probability that one nucleus impinges on it
    is VERY small since the solid angle covered by your shell is less than
    10 usr (i.e. 10^-5 sr, to be compared with 4*pi sr!). Thus you have to
    sample much more efficiently the carbon directions (you are interested
    just in the ions hitting the Al shell).

    Finally your USRBIN R-PHI-Z binning looks strange: you are scoring over a
    cylinder at z~5.5m and R~10m, i.e. OUTSIDE the Al shell (at z~5.5m your Al
    shell has a distance R from the z axis of about 8m) where you have vacuum
    and so you will get always zero energy deposition.

    Ciao!

    Francesco

    Francesco Cerutti
    CERN-AB