Re: neutron scattering in silicon

From: Giuseppe Battistoni (Giuseppe.Battistoni@mi.infn.it)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2007 - 16:59:03 CEST

    Dear Ashay

    FLUKA cannot go directly to the detail that you need.
     I mean tat FLUKA cannot go at the level
    of taking into account energy levels of atoms, molecules and energy bands
    of solids. The minimum energy scale that FLUKA can manage is 1 keV.

    With FLUKA you can define compounds to reproduce doped silicon
    (provided that this is significant) but only from the point of view of
    relative content of atoms.

    In principle it could be possible to post-process energy deposition data
    (like those score with USRBIN or USRTRACK) with some user code
    capable of simulating a posteriori electronic effects. For instance, this
    is the way in which we calculate radiation damage effects using the known
    cross section for lattice dislocation.

    At present we have not yet activated the possibility of switching on a
    local electric field.

            Giuseppe Battistoni