[fluka-discuss]: Bin size

From: Saneesh N <saneesh_at_iuac.res.in>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 17:37:46 +0530 (IST)

From: "Saneesh N" <saneesh_at_iuac.res.in>
To: "fluka-discuss" <fluka-discuss_at_fluka.org>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 5:53:12 PM
Subject: Bin size

Dear FLUKA experts,

I am using 'source.f' for generating Maxwellian energy distribution for neutrons (energy ranging from 0.0 to 10 MeV). Here I am facing two problems,

1. The energy distribution using USRBDX card shows non- linear energy binning, smaller bin for lower energies and bigger energy bin for higher energies (The image file is attached). Even though I have changed the value of energy bin in the USRBDX card, there was no change. How will I get an energy spectrum of neutrons with 0.25 MeV or 0.5 MeV bin width which is uniform?

2. How to cross-check the number of events reaching a material medium using USRBDX output? The unit of flux is given in the sum.lis output as Flux (Part/sr/GeV/cmq/pr) . To get the number of particles, I have multiplied Flux with solid angle (2*PI), centre value of energy bin, area of the detector (78.539) and incident primary (1.E5). And then summed over all energy points. But the result was not coming as 1.E5. When I have counted the neutron fluence event by event using EVENTBIN card, it was coming to be 1.E5. So how to do similar validation using USRBDX card.

Kindly help me to solve these problems. The input file, source file and the image files are attached.

Thanks in advance

Saneesh N

IUAC, New Delhi