Re: energy conservation

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2007 - 10:49:04 CEST

    I haven't looked at your input yet, but in principle it is not
    impossible to get more energy than carried by the projectile.
    It is the famous "nuclear energy" :-), or more technically,
    the effect of exoenergetic reactions. Fission is the most
    popular, but there are others, for instance (n,gamma). The
    extreme case I have found myself was with a source of thermal
    neutrons. The projectile energy was close to zero, but the gamma
    energy produced was of the order of several MeV. By the way,
    I wanted to score an energy spectrum (with USRBDX), and I used
    the default to define the upper and the lower end of the spectrum.
    Since USRBDX as a default sets the maximum energy equal to that of
    the BEAM, I got all zeroes!

    Just as a suggestion, why don't you use the built-in facilities
    to do this type of calculation? USRYIELD with particle type = 201
    and a single energy and a single angular intervals can give you the
    total energy escaping the target. User routines are always
    difficult to debug and should be used only in extreme cases
    when the same result cannot be obtained by input file only.

    Alberto