[fluka-discuss]: nucleus mass

From: Shirley Li <shirleyli.phys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 20:03:07 -0700

Dear FLUKA users,

I'm looking at pion inelastic interaction in argon and trying to understand
the energy balance. I'm wondering how are nucleus masses calculated or
what database are they taken from? In mgdraw, I record all secondary
particles out of an inelastic interaction, including the residual nuclei,
to look at the energy balance.

For example, in the attached output file, the first reaction is pi +40Ar ->
pi + 2n + 2 gamma + 38Ar. If I include nucleus mass, i.e, m_40ar = 39.96u
& u = 0.9315 GeV, the total energy before reaction is 38.0575 GeV. The
total energy after reaction is 38.0571 GeV, not an exact match. And the
difference becomes larger when the residual nucleus has a smaller A. I'm
not sure if the difference is because I used wrong nucleus masses.

Thank you very much!

Shirley