[fluka-discuss]: Geometry: Turns & Bending Magnets

From: Andrew Hastings <ahasti4_at_lsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 17:20:44 +0000

Discuss Group,

I'm in the process of entering the geometry for the linac tunnel and two 90 degree turns to place the electron beam in the plane of the accelerator ring. I can't seem to determine the best approach for the geometry of the vacuum pipe turns to accurately represent the smooth bend while maintaining a cylindrical shape. I've considered staggering many segments of RCC's, but this would be extremely inefficient. Alternatively, I considered overlapping spheres, although the true pipe shape wouldn't be represented. I haven't found a way to make the QUA shape fit my purposes.

After digging around for any publications and the discuss thread, I've been unable to find any mention or examples of this type of geometry. Below is an AutoCad image of the first turn. Any suggestions on how to make a 90 degree curving cylinder of a certain radius?

[cid:image002.png_at_01D43E00.5E767290]

[1465572792562_image003.png]
Andrew D. Hastings
Medical Physics and Health Physics Graduate Student (MS)
College of Engineering SI Coordinator
Louisiana State University
(225)333-8435|ahasti4_at_lsu.edu<mailto:ahasti4_at_lsu.edu>