Re: geometry setup for yield calcuation.

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis (Vasilis.Vlachoudis@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 17:28:16 CET

    Dear Bhushankumar,

    the production cross sections for the Be(g,n) reaction is of the order
    of 0.5-1mb (for typical photon energies of a few MeV) which means that
    you are generating neutrons almost proportional with the thickness of
    your target (r). On the other hand Be is fairly transparent to
    low-energy neutrons as well to the beam photons, so the neutron
    diffusion on your target will follow roughly 1/r^2. Therefore one should
    expect a decrease of neutron fluence inverse proportional to the
    dimension of the cube, while the total number of neutron generated per
    second will be proportional to the dimensions of the cube.

    You have to remember that the best quantity that one wants to optimize
    in neutronic applications is the neutron fluence, since it is the one
    defining the reaction rate.

    Please give a look in the FLUKA courses especially the one on scoring
    about the use of the existing estimators (for your case USRBDX,
    USRTRACK, USRCOLL and USRYIELD) and how to interpret their results. Also
    the output file of fluka in the last section provides valuable
    information about secondaries yield, as well energy balance.

    Vasilis