Re: Bragg Peak for proton beam in water

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 02:34:55 CET

    There is some confusion in my head about what we call a "Bragg peak".
    Please, Florian and other experts, help me clarify this concept.

    Does the Bragg peak refer to the local dose along the path of the charged=
    =20
    particle, or to the laterally integrated dose?
    If the dose is laterally integrated, a FLUKA binning is not the correct
    technique to determine it (unless, of course, the bins are laterally
    "infinite"). If instead the dose is local, the result can be strongly
    dependent on the bin lateral size and on the delta ray cutoff.
    Is there any accepted convention?

    I have done some research on Internet and my confusion has increased.

    For Wikipedia, the Bragg peak refers to the "energy loss" (not to the "ener=
    gy
    deposition"): therefore, the dose seems to be laterally integrated.

    For the Encylopaedia Britannica, the Bragg peak refers to ionization. This =
    is
    less clear: total ionization is laterally integrated, but primary ionizatio=
    n is
    not. The exact text is:
    "The ionization density (number of ions per unit of path length) produced b=
    y a=20
    fast charged particle along its track increases as the particle slows down.=
     It=20
    eventually reaches a maximum called the Bragg peak close to the end of its=
    =20
    trajectory".
    It speaks about "The ionization density produced by a fast charged particle=
    ":
    does it include ionization due to secondaries, or only by the fast charged=
    =20
    particle itself?=20
    Because it says "ionization density", I think it refers to the primary only=
    ,
    otherwise it would say just ionization.

    The first paper by Bragg himself was also ambiguous:
      W.H. Bragg and R. Kleeman, "On the ionization curves of radium", Phil. Ma=
      1904; S.6:726=C2=AD38