Re: Bragg Peak for proton beam in water

From: Florian Sommerer (florian.sommerer@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 10:04:52 CET

    Dear Jamshid Soltani,

    the problem is again just the statistical fluctuation. Increase the
    number of primary particles and you will see that this fluctuations will
    decrease. As the statistics goes with the square root of the number of
    primaries you have to increase the primaries by a factor 4 to bring the
    peaks of the fluctuation down by a factor of 2.

    Please read also carefully the answer Vasilis posted in reply to your
    question from Dec 10th.

    Regards,
    Florian Sommerer

    Jamshid Soltani wrote:
    > Hi FLUKA user,
    >
    > I want to draw a curve for interaction of charged particles with water as
    > attach file.the Bragg peak of proton beam isn't smooth and there is "zig
    > zag" form in its Bragg peak.I changed the binning in Z direction and it
    > exist the same problem again.I tried to draw a carve for the interaction
    > of proton beam with Calcium(target) and there is the zig zag form.
    > As you see in the bragg peaks of Boron, oxygen and Iron there is sharp in
    > peak too.
    > can anyone tell me, how can I solve this problem?
    >
    > thanks
    > jamshid soltani

    Florian Sommerer
    European Organization for Nuclear Research
    CERN AB-ATB-EET
    Mailbox Z04500
    Geneve 23
    CH-1211 Switzerland