RE: [fluka-discuss]: Re: Question about W neutron resonces

From: Matteo Magistris <Matteo.Magistris_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 15:47:48 +0000

Dear Vladimir,

Thank you for your query. I have checked your input, and unless I am mistaken in WHAT6 of the LOW-MAT cards you assign the same "tungsten" low-E neutron cross-sections to both your W182 and W183 materials, which may defeat the purpose of using a compound material for tungsten.

The problem is, there are no isotope-specific cross-sections in the list of FLUKA materials (see manual 1.4.1.2) for tungsten, but only for tungsten at different temperatures. This means that in terms of interactions with low-E neutrons you can only work with natural tungsten.

Alternatively, you could use Fluka to simulate the neutron spectra and then do an off-line folding of these spectra with external cross-sections of low-E neutrons for different isotopes, which you can find in a nuclear database. However, in this case you should be aware of the fact that the spectra provided by Fluka will be affected by the cross-sections which are already implemented in Fluka.

Yours,
Matteo