Re: simple question + what about semi-conductors detectors ?

From: Sebastien WURTH (wurth@ipno.in2p3.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 16:22:43 CET

    Hello,

    I have the same question with some solid detector this time, a hyperpur
    Ge cristal for the detection of photons for instance.
    Is it possible to calculate the typical absolute efficiency curve of
    such a detector with FLUKA ?
    I tried several times using several ways and seem to miss something
    there (exemple in *inp file attached).
    I assumed in that case, that all relevant informations are already
    available for FLUKA, since it is the creation of pairs which creates the
    signal... and those interactions are implemented in the standard options
    without adding any options.
    First thing, am I right until there ? Obviously not...
    To calculate some absolute efficiency, I used the DETECT card in FLUKA,
    with one region which consists in my Ge detector.
    I make as many runs as various energies from 50 keV to 2 MeV for instance.
    I expect to obtain a curve which shows a maximum value of efficiency at
    ~100-120 keV (see first plot in attached *.pdf file).
    I don't get that, I only get a curve that looks like "stopping power",
    the more "counts" with the lowest energies, and a decrease when the
    values of energy gets higher (see second plot in attached *.pdf file).
    So, maybe it is normal, it is what DETECT card calculates (energy
    deposition), but is it possible also to simulate the efficiency of the
    photons detection ?
    I tried with other detectors like USRBIN or USRTRACK, but this is not
    what I want. I want some ratio between what is detected and what is
    emitted (at a given energy). Is there still some physical effect to
    introduce in order to achieve this (like for scintillation effects) ie
    the third thing pointed out by Alberto in his answer to Sandra (see below) ?

    Any comment or hint would be highly appreciated.

    Regards.
    Sebastien.

    (For pretty girls I don't know, but for bringing some food, no problem :))