[Fwd: BOUNCE fluka-discuss@mi.infn.it: Approval required:]

From: Giuseppe Battistoni (Giuseppe.Battistoni@mi.infn.it)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 10:35:20 CET

    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:20:34 +0100
    From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler@mail.cern.ch>
    To: <Sabrina.Casanova@mpi-hd.mpg.de>
    CC: <fluka-discuss@fluka.org>
    Subject: Re: pp inelastic interactions in FLUKA

    Dear Sabrina,

    > I am interested in studying pp interactions happening in the Galaxy
    > between cosmic ray protons and the interstellar medium in order to
    predict the photon flux
    > which is produced by the decay of pions produced in such inelastic
    collisions.
    > I have already used DPMJET3 which, if I understand correctly, works well
    > above 10 GeV for the incident proton energy .

    Did you use DPMJET3 as stand-alone code or as linked to FLUKA?

    > Since I am an absolute beginner with FLUKA could you tell which routines
    are available in
    > FLUKA to simulate the low energy part of pp inelastic collisions ?

    The model which covers the energy range up to 3-5 GeV is based on
    individual resonance production and decay (above it is adopted the dual
    parton model dealing with quark strings), but specific routines which call
    only the event-generator are not available stand alone to the user.

    However, you can force collisions by defining a small target region
    consisting of hydrogen

    MATERIAL 1.0 1.00794 0.0000837 3 1.0HYDROGEN

    and by artificially reducing the inelastic interaction length of the
    primary particle, e.g., by

    LAM-BIAS 0.0 -1.E-5 3.0 1.0
    LAM-BIAS INEPRI

    Note, that INEPRI requests this reduction only for primary particles.
    Thus, the chance that you get a secondary re-interacting is tiny.

    The final state particles can then be obtained inside the user routine
    mgdraw (ENTRY USDRAW with Icode=300 and printout of the content of common
    GENSTK). Alternatively, you could also score double-differential yields
    directly with the USRYIELD card, i.e. without having to code your own
    histogram in mgdraw.

    Regards
    Stefan