Re: [fluka-discuss]: Question about electron beam

From: Maria Ilaria Besana <maria.ilaria.besana_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:59:49 +0000

Dear Donghyun,

it is true that electrons undergo bremsstrahlung interactions, however -
based on its cross section - this is a discrete process and not
a continuous one.
This means that an electron travelling through a material can emit a
photon (or not emit) with a certain probability.
This probability is linked to the radiation length, which is more than
1 cm in iron.
Since you have a thin sheet, some electrons do not undergo any bremsstrahlung
interaction and they appear in your detector with an energy still close
to the original one.
The peak should decrease, while increasing the thickness of the sheet.

Hope that helps,
best regards,
Ilaria