Re: [fluka-discuss]: USRDUMP output file conversion

From: Andrea Fontana <andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 15:28:19 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Alice,
   perhaps there is another way, since you could directly read
back a USERDUMP binary file with a standalone fortran program.

You could try to follow the example shown in the FLUKA manual
in section 12.2.6: the example is related to optical photons,
but program MGREAD will also work in your case (see also section
12.2.5 to see how the file was created).

Let us know if this work...
Kind regards,
Andrea

> Dear Ilaria,
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> I still have problems, I have basically just changed UNFORMATTED ->
> FORMATTED in mgdraw.f, through flair compiled it and liked it (with
> ldpmqmd) and I run with the nex executable, but the files are still
> binary ones. I really can't see the problem, do you have any other
> suggestion on how to deal with these files? Or any easy way to convert
> them;
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best,
>
> Alice
>
> Il 20-Sep-19 8:31 PM, Maria Ilaria Besana ha scritto:
>> Dear Alice,
>>
>> you need to change the format of your output file, when it is opened.
>> OPEN ( UNIT = IODRAW, FILE = FILNAM, STATUS = 'NEW', FORM =
>> & 'FORMATTEDā€™ )
>>
>> Please make sure to change it in the ENTRY that you are actually using
>> as first one.
>> The open command is repeated few times in the routine, but it executed
>> only the first time your routine is called.
>>
>> Then you just need to link your modified user routine and create your
>> executable.
>>
>> If you could not solve the issue, you can send me your modified mgdraw.f
>> and I will have a look at it.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ilaria
>>
>>> On 20 Sep 2019, at 16:00, Alice Coffani <coffani_at_llr.in2p3.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear experts,
>>>
>>> for my need I have to follow single secondary particles of different
>>> type and record their informations (lateral distance, position,
>>> multiplicity, track reconstruction..) per each primary event. I would
>>> like to check the output of USERDUMP but I can't find a way to write it
>>> in a human readable way: I tried to modify mgdraw.f changing from
>>> unformatted to formatted output but it didn't work. Does someone know
>>> how to do that in order to make it work properly? Is there a way to
>>> convert binary files into more useful files (root?)?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Alice

Dr. Andrea Fontana                    tel: +39 0382 987991
Istituto Nazionale                    fax: +39 0382 423241
di Fisica Nucleare
Sezione di Pavia                      e-mail: andrea.fontana_at_pv.infn.it
Via Bassi 6                           web   : www.pv.infn.it/~fontana
27100 PAVIA, Italy