[fluka-discuss]: Question on DCYTIMES and IRRPROFI - Detectors output is zero

From: Stefano Dalla Vecchia <sdv_at_kth.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 13:23:54 +0000

Dear Fluka Experts,

I am having some problems with finding the dose rate for a certain geometry. I'm using an-user defined source, and have been calculating the DOSEQLET for a certain voxel geometry (in case you need the input files let me know, though I think that my problem is mainly due to some personal misunderstanding). Please know also, that before calculating the dose rate, I was simply calculating the dose, and everything worked smoothly.

To get some dose rates info

1) I've set the irradiation profile (for 1000s) as such:

IRRPROFI 1000. 155461.71

2) I defined a NEGATIVE decay time, this way I should (correct me if I'm wrong) get the dose rate of the primary and secondary particles

DCYTIMES -100.

3) I then asked to calculate the dose rate to all detectors but the first one, there are 138 USRBIN in my input file. I omitted the first one to see if I still get a right value of dose for the first detectors and can compare it to the previous results.

DCYSCORE 1. 2. 138. USRBIN

4) Definition of the different detectors ...

USRBIN 12. DOSEQLET 21. VOXEL002
USRBIN VOXEL002 &

USRBIN 12. DOSEQLET 21. VOXEL003
USRBIN VOXEL003 &

USRBIN 12. DOSEQLET 21. VOXEL139
USRBIN VOXEL139

The first detector, the one that does not calculate the dose rate, still gives 3.3206E-08, which is EXACTLY like the result that I was getting for the dose calculations, and that is of course as I was hoping.

The problem is, as a look through the output file, the accurate deposition along the tracks requested for ALL BUT THE FIRST DETECTOR, is 0.0 !!!

If any of you knows what I did wrong, maybe there are some additional cards that I omitted, or maybe I misused the ones that I reported here, it would be amazing

Stefano Dalla Vecchia

European Space Agency - EAC