RE: what is the relation between yield and cross section?

From: Markus Brugger <Markus.Brugger@cern.ch>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 13:32:55 CEST

Hi Jinghantao,

in one case you score the double differential distribution of the
outgoing particles, whereas in the in the other you obtain the
double-differential cross section. As you correctly indicate both scale
by number of incoming particles, the density and the target length. What
concerns your question, if I understand correctly, the 'scaling' between
the two scorings is nothing else then the differential cross section
itself: d2N/dx1dx2 * sigma =3D d2sigma/dx1dx2 -> does this answer your
question?

cheers

Markus

I use