[fluka-discuss]: RE:Scoring of annihilation photons

From: Ricardo Manuel Dos Santos Augusto <r.s.augusto_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 14:40:41 +0000

Dear Karolina,

Regarding the scoring of annihilation events at rest, this can be done directly in FLUKA using the ANNIHRST particle type in USRBIN.

The FLUKA PET tools are not (yet) available in the standard distribution. This said, you might still extract meaningful results using user routines.
You might want to have a look at the lectures on user routines and scoring in the last advanced fluka course, and the exercise on the use on mgdraw
https://agenda.infn.it/event/20624/timetable/#all.detailed

Maybe you could use the mgdraw routine and an user-defined USERDUMP to print events of interest. For instance, you can use mgdraw's BXDRAW entry to define a boundary crossing into your detector and filter it to register only photons originating from annihilation events at rest in your target. Additional filters can be added (coordinates, direction cosines...among many others). You might also want to use stupre.f, set a user flag in the IESPAK array when the flag for annihilation at rest LANNRS is true (see common EVTFLG). This will be propagated to all daughters, and used for select scoring either in BXDRAW or in comscw.f or fluscw.f depending on the use. If you wish to filter out the rescattered photons from compton, you can un-set the flag again in stupre each time LCMPTN is true.
Note that this user-routine methodology is not as powerful as the PET tools since it does not allow for the signal reconstruction or the reproduction of the PET functionality but it might still provide valuable indicators.

Hope it helps.
Best regards,
Ricardo

//Ricardo dos Santos Augusto