Re: [fluka-discuss]: Question about the electron range

From: Mauro Valente <mauro.valente_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:00:33 -0300

Unfortunately, I am not a FLUKA expery, so my recommendations about how to
implement the calculation may be not suitable, but FLUKA experts/advanced
users may guide you. I use waiti for experts' advice before proceeding with
implementations.

I may comment that estimating "range" of charged particle beams using
energy/dose deposition is a common approach in some areas, like medical
physics. However, the physical meaning/definition of the charged particle
range involves the track, the travelled path. So, any card (already
available or user adapted subrutine) providing particle track may help you.
Of course, there are other suitable approaches, but I find this one the
"more intuitive" one.

Finally, simulation parameters should be performed carefully, absorption
energy, for instance, may affect results.

Radiative processes are also very relevant, perhaps dominant, for 1 GeV
electrons. So, a constant rate of energy loss would be taken carefully.

Regards,