Re: FLUKA defaults and necessary cards for medical applications (i.e. low energy)

From: Giuseppe Battistoni <giuseppe.battistoni_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:56:32 +0100 (CET)

(smtp1.mi.infn.it [192.84.138.69]); Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:56:32 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it

Dear Roger
it is indeed a low energy application, but other people already apply
FLUKA with success in similar medical applications.
PRECISION is already a good default set, but you can do even better if you
like. You can see in the manual that the energy threshold for particles is
set at 100 keV when using PRECISIO.
You can overwrite settings. For instance you can lower the production
threshold for e+,e-,gammas, down to 1 keV using EMF-CUT (you can adjust
separately production threshold and transport threshold). You can also
lower delta-ray cut-off with DELTARAY.
Of course the lower is the energy cut for e+e- the larger will be the
CPU time demand. It's up to you to find the trade-off suitable for your
case...
Best regards
       Giuseppe Battistoni