Re: Secondary protons in shielding

From: Alfredo Ferrari <alfredo.ferrari_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 00:07:09 +0100

Dear Joel

very likely you got the beam dimensions wrong. Apparently you set the
simulated beam as large as your detectors, while I bet the real one was
much larger. That's the explaination of your results, it is a typical
mistake. Secondary protons are emitted at wide angles, if you have small
detectors after a large shield with a large beam you conpensate what you
lose from the axis with what you get from the surrounding, while if
you look at the axis only on a narrow beam you never see the buildup
(and you MUST never see it in those conditions!).

BTW the FLUKA reproduction of the curve in Radiat Environ Biophys 46, 107
(2007) is perfect (of course using the right beam size), as well
as it is for many other dose-profile data at lower and higher energies.

                        Ciao
                       Alfredo

| Alfredo Ferrari || Tel.: +41.22.76.76119 |
| CERN-EN/STI || Fax.: +41.22.76.69474 |
| 1211 Geneva 23 || e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari_at_cern.ch |
| Switzerland || |