Re: Geometry problems

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Francesca,

it is never a good idea to ask many different questions in the same
mail. Somebody can know an easy answer about one question, but will not
answer because he doesn't know about the other ones or doesn't have
the time to look at them....:-)

Anyway, I will answer your first question and leave to somebody else
the answers to your other questions.
A cone with one base of radius zero is not a _truncated_ cone but just a cone.
(In TRC, T stands for truncated).
There are good reasons why Combinatorial Geometry has truncated cones
but not just cones. The solution of the 2nd degree equation providing
the intersection of a straight line with a conical surface has a
singularity at the cone vertex. In addition, a conical surface has
two "nappes" (in your and my language, "due falde"), and the vertex
belongs to both (or to neither, as you prefer): sticking to a truncated
cone makes sure that we don't have to worry about solution belonging to
the other nappe.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025