Re: Problems with ~9000 regions and materials.

From: Anna Ferrari <anna.ferrari_at_lnf.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:47:58 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Juan,

 I tried to run your input files and a first thing I observed is the
 enormous initialization time you need, due to the fact that
 in each of your 432 or 9776 regions in your carbon target you
 define - in practice - a different material.

 Since the material of your target is always carbon and you redefine
 only different densities, I would try to use a different approach.
 I would continue to use the same number of regions, but using always
 carbon with the same density, varying in the appropriate way
 the volume of the region (and then the path of your protons in the beam)
 in order to have the SAME amount of material you have now.
 In this way you don't have to redefine carbon each time.
 I saw that at the end you score the deposited energy: mantaining your
 number of regions you should see in each region the effect of
 a different density, simply acting on the geometry.

 Hope it helps,

 Regards,

 Anna