Re: Material properties

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:02:00 -0700 (PDT)

By default, FLUKA calculates average ionization potentials in compounds
using the Bragg additivity rule. Of course, this does not take well
into account the effect of molecular bonds.

However, the user has the possibility to input his own values, if they
are available: see command MAT-PROP, WHAT(3).

Values of I (average ionization potential) for a number of compounds
can be found in ICRU Reports 37 and 49, and in an article of
Sternheimer, Berger and Seltzer, At. Data Nucl. Data Tab. 30, 261-271 (1984).
The values reported by the three documents are essentially the same.
You can find in them also some rules to derive corrections to I for
different kinds of molecular bonds and for different phases (gas/liquid or
solid).
See also:
J. Oddershede and J.R. Sabin, Nucl. Instr. Meth. B42, 7-10 (1984)

Best regards,

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025